Sunday, April 11, 2010

Star Trek - First Contact Review (Special Request)



I think I better start by addressing the common age old myth that is ‘’Star Trek is for geeks!’’. Listen up and listen well, because when it comes to films I know what I’m talking about. Let’s start with the facts, shall we? Star Trek – First Contact directed by Jonathan Frakes in 1996 opened in 2,812 theatres beginning November 22, grossing $30.7 million its first week (It only cost $45 million to make)  and making it the top movie at the US box office, overall, earning a total of $146 million worldwide. That’s a nice return on $45 million don’t you think?
I am not a ‘’trekkie’’ far from it to be honest and am far from an obsessive Star Trek fan but I like my films and I love good films, well written films, films that make you think with the right mix of action and dialogue. First Contact is, for me, a film that combines the best of what makes a film good. The action sequences are not what you’re used to; there are no million dollar studios with Hollywood effects not to say that there aren’t any. Instead it delivers something with a bit more feeling, a raw sense of action we don’t see every day. I was even reminded of the old bond films when it came to the fights scenes, there was something about those fights you couldn’t help but love something about them seemed so…real.
I found myself getting attached to the characters, (Something a good film does to viewers might I remind you)  One in particular, a Klingon called Worf, who’s race were born without fear and had nothing bust lust for war, he even made me laugh, several times in fact (I know Star Trek and comedy eh? Who’d a thunk it) When his weapon would no longer affect the enemy he would simply say:
Lt. Commander Worf
They’ve adapted…

Which basically means when translated ‘’Stand back and hold my gun, I’m going to punch him’’. Ah Worf, you silly bitch. Data an even more lovable character funny and quirky also joins in on the action and damn can he throw a punch and more, snapping necks, breaking faces and simply Kicking ass, but wait this is Star Trek, there can be no humour and action sequences in Star Trek, can there? Yes there is so deal with it because they’re pretty good too. There are even characters you can hate, Sounds strange, but I like if there’s some character or thing you can complain about right? In this case it’s William Riker, an arrogant douche who has the corniest lines known to mankind and you just want Captain Jean-Luc Picard to punch him straight in the face as only Picard can who is played by no one other than Patrick Stewart, who give a brilliant performance as Picard:

Zefram Cochrane
Is that Earth?

Lt. Cmdr. Geordi
That's it!

Zefram Cochrane
It's so small...


Cmdr. William Riker:
It's about to get a whole lot bigger.

Yep that’s just one of many moments I wished Picard would come on screen and punch him in the face but he doesn’t or does he (No he doesn’t, I lied). The entire cast all pull off great performances making the whole experience a joy to watch (Yes, you heard me, I said ‘’Joy’’) and really congeals the story together. Don’t believe me, well watch it yourself and tell me otherwise.


The story pulls together with complete ease and even though they were running with a previous sequel like story from one of their other films or TV series (I’m not entirely sure) it still was easy to follow and I even kept up with the Star Trek Lingo such as warp drive, assimilate and many other words I wouldn’t know and to be honest still don’t. But the beauty is you don’t have to know all these terms and back stories of alien races, with any film you just identify the good guys, then the bad guys and enjoy how the good guys go about beating the bad guys, what’s complicated or geeky about that?  

Star Trek even throws in some sexual references, ‘’No!’’ I hear you say, just listen to this bit of finely written script between the android Data and the Borg Queen:

Borg Queen
Are you familiar with physical forms of pleasure?

Lt. Cmdr. Data
If you are referring to sexuality, I am...fully functional, programmed in...multiple techniques.

Borg Queen
How long since you've used them?

Lt. Cmdr. Data
Eight years, seven months, sixteen days, four minutes, twenty-two…

Borg Queen
Far too long.

All we see though is a passionate kiss, which is lucky as the Borg Queen is quite a revolting looking woman no man should have to look at for too long but the references are all there nonetheless.

I doubt thought that I will convince everyone to watch this film no matter how good it is or how good a review I give it, people seem to just down right refuse to accept that Star Trek isn’t just for geeks and nerds and strange people. All I will say is this. If you are a discerning movie goer and you like your films and love when the films you watch are good then please take the time to watch one that will entertain you and if all else fails (Which it shouldn’t) you’ll at least have a good laugh. In the words of Lt. Cmdr. Worf ‘’Assimilate this!’’.

                                                                                                                                       Signing off
                                                                                                                                                        Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment